|Babies||Walkers to 2||2s to 3s||3s to 4s|
Overview and benefit
This Discovery Time element uses an upbeat and funky song to introduce some of the more familiar animals of the world. The song teaches 2 simple characteristics of each animal.
- Your chosen track
• Up to six weeks
How it works
There are 5 versions of this song, each featuring 4 animals. Use a different track each week, then repeat.
- Track 1 – Verse 1=Cat, Verse 2=fish, Verse 3=pig, Verse 4=elephant
- Track 2 – Verse 1=Cow, Verse 2=horse, Verse 3=sheep, Verse 4=goat
- Track 3 – Verse 1=Dog, Verse 2=mouse, Verse 3=frog, Verse 4=rabbit
- Track 4 – Verse 1=Duck, Verse 2=parrot, Verse 3=chicken, Verse 4=bear
- Track 5 – Verse 1=Owl, Verse 2=monkey, Verse 3=snake, Verse 4=giraffe
Verses 1 and 3 of each track feature an action and a sound and are the animals are male
Verses 2 and 4 of each track features two actions and the animals are female
What to do in the class
Play the track and follow the choreography notes:
Adaptation for older/younger children
It can be used with older classes too, where you can ask the children to suggest actions.
What to do in a nursery setting
No adaptation necessary
If you find it difficult to think of actions, you can do the same action twice.
- Goat – bleat sound / headbutting
- Cat – wash face, wash ears, pretend to lick milk, walk around proudly
- Fish – hand movement through water or mouth open and shutting
- Pig – hand on nose and OINK!
- Cow – horns like the sign for cow
- Sheep –chewing
- Giraffe – stretch up one arm high with hand like mouth chewing leaves
- Rabbit – Fluffy ears or bounce up and down
- Mouse – hand moving fast around body or up and down like hickory dickory dock